Friday, October 29, 2010

The book titled Incidents in The life Of A Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs, is a slave narritave about her life. Jacobs, uses the name Linda Brent without giving her real name. The book has alot of parts that struck me as interesting. One thing that intreguies me is the way Jacobs switches from two different things, from one to another so very rapidly. At one moment she would talk bout life, and then she will quickly switch to the death of her mistress. I found that very interesting. She made me believe she has no remorse for anything that happened, no emotion, no feeling. It is scary and interesting at the same time.
Another thing that intreugiued me about Jacobs' writing was the tone of Jacobs' words in the book. When she talks about her mistress' death, she acted as if it had no effect on her. "When i was nearly twelve years old, my kind mistress sickened and died" (Jacobs 5). Jacobs had a very calm sound to her voice, yet her mistress was important to her it had an effect on her. If i could ask Harriet Jacob's any question from reading the first few chapters, I would ask do you
act as if there is no emotion for anything in your tone, to help you cope with what happened?

Joshua Briggs

No comments:

Post a Comment